633 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071-2043
- Download Vcard
Professional Notes & Events
Robert J. Cerny
Robert Cerny is a corporate and regulatory partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Since joining the firm in 1992, Mr. Cerny’s practice focuses on insurance regulation, transactions, financial analysis, disciplinary matters, and market conduct examinations.
Mr. Cerny represents insurance companies, producers and other entities in all aspect of insurance regulation and related matters, including the handling of market conduct examinations, the formation or acquisition of insurers and producers, as well as the establishment of insurance captive and debt cancellation programs. Mr. Cerny began his career with Barger & Wolen LLP handling more than 20 rate rollback matters under Proposition 103.
- Boston College, J.D., 1992
- Boston College, B.A., cum laude, 1988
Articles & Publications
- Co-author, “Developments in California Insurance Law – 2008,” Business Law News, Business Law Section, State Bar of California (March 2009).
- Co-author, “Developments in California Insurance Law – 2007,” Business Law News, Business Law Section, State Bar of California (March 2008).
Lectures and Seminars
- Moderator, “Insurance and the Financial Crisis,” Focus on the Economy Speaker Series Webcast, Business Law Section, California State Bar (March 11, 2009).
- Panelist, “Developments in California Insurance Regulation,” Annual Conference of Association of California Insurance Counsel, Las Vegas, NV (July 23-25, 2008).
Notable Decisions and Reported Opinions
- Automotive Funding Group, Inc. v. Garamendi, 14 Cal.App.4th 846 (2003) (case of first impression holding that loss damage waiver was not insurance).
- The State Bar of California
- Chair, Insurance Law Committee Business Law Section, California State Bar Business Law Section (2008 – 2009); Vice Chair (2007 – 2008)
- Association of California Insurance Counsel